INTRO TO A BLOG THAT IS WILLING TO WALK AWAY FROM A FIGHT


Welcome. I'm an actor/writer who took the first ever playwriting class at my college and wrote every assignment by hand. In high school, I once won first place for a creative story I wrote implementing all the vocabulary words that week. I believe this makes me qualified to start a blog. I'm also a regular contributor for The Hollywood Journal & The LA Weekly affiliated blog, Tangled Web.


BACON-WRAPPED FOR YOUR PLEASURE

-erin QUEENIE stegeman


Wednesday, January 25, 2012

SWAG or The True Meaning of Sundance


Ah, Sundance. A time for independent filmmakers to humbly cast celebrities as day players and share it with the REAL artistic community - you know, the ones who were comped $2000 passes from the studios.

Feeling uptight at the fact that 4 of the 8 films I saw already had distribution deals, I decided to get back in touch with my motives for traveling 21 hours to this cozy mountain town - SWAG. And not just the water bottles and chap sticks of yesteryear...Oh no, my friends, we're talking Timberland Snow Boots (spring '12 - Pink), orthodic running shoes, $250 gift certificates to jewelry stores, free massages, scarves, hats, gloves, and a Starbucks gift card- just for saying whether or not I noticed if Bing was a sponsor of Sundance (I was asked this literally in front of the Bing Bar).

I already own an entire winter wardrobe, and I live in LA. Yet, there's something in the air that makes you say, "I need this shit". And EVERYONE does it. One of the volunteers stole a lightbulb Timberland was using for eco photo-ops. I saw 2 celebs smooth-talking the sales rep just for a bottle of olive oil. It wasn't even a full bottle. It was damn tasty though, and I can now make dressing for a year.

Here is an actual List of the SWAG that fit in my car

6 Glacier water bottles
10 Sundance Nalgene bottles (same exact color and style of the 10 I grabbed last year, but these said 2012 instead of 2011 so...)
1 pair of knee high Pink Timberland Snow Boots (great to have for the snowstorms in LA)
2 Ski hats with mustaches attached (Bin Laden Brown and Mustard Yellow)
2 Timberland scarves in wash-everyone-out beige
T-shirt from the film I hated
4,359 chap sticks
$250 gift certificate to jewelry that starts at $500
$50 gift certificate to custom made jeans that start at $250
1 pair of purple gloves with the words YAHOO all over them
3 body lotions made from the hands of the Slamdance filmmakers
6 bottles of coconut water that taste like cardboard and pho's redheaded step child
Ryka Running shoes (no snarky comment here, they're amazing)
7 buttons for films I never saw and 2 for Occupy Sundance
6 mini bottles of olive oil in flavors of wheatgrass, lemon, tandori, butter, basil, and olive oil
267 items that I have yet to identify

3 comments:

  1. Can I have one of the nalgene bottles? And I want to grab coffee and hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi-larious. So true. I'm passing this on to Robert Redford. Apparently, he is forgetting what the true meaning of Sundance is these days...old age and thin mountain air will do that to you.

    I think your next post should reference the cousin of SWAG, free ALCOHOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes, free booze and thin alpine air: A timeless pairing. Goes well with walking half a mile in a blizzard because you missed the shuttle again.

    JFaks: Yes a nalgene bottle and 325 chap sticks are yours. Would you also like a beige scarf? Great for blending into the scenery.

    ReplyDelete