INTRO TO A BLOG THAT IS WILLING TO WALK AWAY FROM A FIGHT


Welcome. I'm an actor/writer who took the first ever playwriting class at my college and wrote every assignment by hand. In high school, I once won first place for a creative story I wrote implementing all the vocabulary words that week. I believe this makes me qualified to start a blog. I'm also a regular contributor for The Hollywood Journal & The LA Weekly affiliated blog, Tangled Web.


BACON-WRAPPED FOR YOUR PLEASURE

-erin QUEENIE stegeman


Monday, September 8, 2014

The Business of Being Female

I am coming up to the 4 year anniversary of being assaulted by the owner of a business I briefly worked for. I filed battery charges immediately after the incident and showed up to every court date, unlike my attacker. I did my research and found other victims of his out there, who served as witnesses in my case. There was one point, right in front of me, where he asked the court-appointed moderator if his business was going to receive any penalties for his behavior, to which she replied "no". 

I'll never forget that feeling: "I am less than a business"

In a city as progressive as Los Angeles, this man walked away without so much as a finger tap on the wrist. 

There is great value to reporting abuse, and I wouldn't have changed a thing. It was tough as shit having to face someone I barely knew who devalued me - strong, independent me - in such a way. I cried and shook like crazy in the rooms. They say esteem-able acts give you self-esteem, and facing him gave me my self-esteem back. It was a significant part of the healing process for me and has shaped me into the woman I am today.

So, yah, when I see how the Supreme Court and the NFL value corporations, profit, and animal violence OVER women, I'm angered. I'm sad. I feel betrayed and I lose faith in my country. But I don't lose faith in women. So I write. I share at recovery groups, I continue to do what feels like healing for me. And I find great strength in my community. We will get there, ladies. We will.

No comments:

Post a Comment